I love St. Patrick’s day dinner! Every year I make corned beef and cabbage, roasted veggies and Irish Soda Bread. Cavegirl Debbie, who is from Ireland, usually hosts a St. Patrick’s day lunch where everyone wears green and brings green or Irish food to share. I usually try to bring soda bread to the party, but this year my Primal/Paleo way of eating posed a bit of a problem with that. The soda bread I’ve made in years past contains mostly wheat flour and buttermilk, which are 2 foods I’m not eating. But being the persistent person that I am, I had to give soda bread a try anyway. Once again, Elana came to the rescue with a soda bread recipe that mostly fit the bill, but I made a couple of tweaks of my own.
May your pockets be heavy and your heart be light,
May good luck pursue you each morning and night.
Paleo/Primal Irish Soda Bread
2 C Almond Flour
1/2 C coconut flour (can use all almond flour instead)
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 C raisins
1/4 C coconut or almond milk
2 Tbs apple cider vinegar
1. Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl. In another bowl mix all wet ingredients
2. Mix wet ingredients into dry. Add more milk or flour as needed to form a slightly crumbly dough.
3. Form dough into a disk shape then using a knife cut an X shape across the disk.
4. Bake for about 25 minutes at 350 degrees.
Crock pot Corned Beef and Cabbage
2-3 lb corned beef brisket with spice packet
2 C carrots (baby or regular sized cut into 2 inch pieces)
1 large onion cut into wedges
1 head cabbage cut into wedges
3 C warm water
1/2 C apple cider vinegar
2 Tbs honey
1. In a crock pot mix water, vinegar, honey and spices from corned beef package.
2. Mix in the onions then lay brisket on top of onions.
3. Cover and cook on low for 5 hours adding warm water as needed.
4. Add carrots and cook on low for 1 hour.
5. Add cabbage and cook on low for 20 minutes or until cabbage and carrots are tender.