My Cavegirl girlfriend Stephanie has been raving about Trader Joe’s frozen Marinated Grilled Eggplant and Zucchini and how she likes to use it in her lasagnas. If it’s a Cavegirl Stephanie recommendation then it’s sure to be a good one so I set to this afternoon to make one of my own and if I do say myself it turned out GREAT!
I used a whole bag of these yum yums…
I made my usual buffalo bolognese and added a few sliced mushrooms to the sauce.
- 1lb (ish) of ground buffalo/bison
- 1 onion chopped small
- 1 jar of pasta sauce ( my favorite is Lucini Rustic Tomato and Basil)
- ½ a carton of chopped tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- Splash of Worcestershire Sauce
- Shake of pepper
- Sprinkle of dried mixed herbs
- Handful of sliced mushrooms
- Chop onion and fry with garlic & mixed herbs
- Add the ground buffalo meat and cook.
- Drain any excess fat
- Add your preferred pasta sauce, diced tomatoes and splash of Worcestershire Sauce
- Add sliced mushrooms
- Simmer for a good 30 minutes
Then I layered the dish beginning with a layer of bolognese then a generous layer of the zucchinis and eggplant and repeated this process. I added another handful of sliced mushrooms to make it look like this…
Finally top off with the remaining bolognese sauce and then the piece de resistance…
OH YEAH BABY… fry up a generous amount of your favorite bacon. ( I used 5 rashers)
Once fried and crispy, cut up the bacon and sprinkle onto the top of your lasagna.
I love Trader Joe’s Uncured Apple Smoked and it gave the lasagna a super yummy comforting smokey taste and an aroma that brought my kids downstairs from their pits
I covered and baked the lasagna in the oven at 375*F for 45 mins and served it with a generous helping of steamed broccoli
Thank you Stephanie for the inspiration and thank you Trader Joe’s for your always yummy food!
The only thing I would add to make this dish any better would be a Paleo Herb Bun to help mop up all that yummy sauce
Next time! (which could well be tomorrow ;))