Having eaten oatmeal religiously every morning for years, I found my breakfast regime very hard to break until I was introduced to paleo porridge. Thank you Angie and Paleo Parents for the inspiration and the recipe for my morning oatmeal substitute. Since finding and trying this porridge I’ve not looked back! It is my favorite meal of the day and I get to have it everyday and on occasions for lunch too! The great thing with this porridge is that you can mix it up week by week by having different nuts like almonds, pecans, cashews – they all work great. In my fridge right now is a “2 cups of almonds/ 1 cup of walnuts/ 1 cup of prune” combo. YUMMY! You could try dates instead of prunes, maybe figs too (I’ve not tried those yet, but plan too) Did you know that almonds and figs are a great source of calcium? Yup… they sure are. For more information on Dairy-Free Calcium Food Sources. I am truly amazed at how long this porridge sustains me.
Here’s the recipe for the all powerful paleo porridge!
2 C raw walnuts
1 C raw macadamia nuts
1 C prunes, pitted and halved
2 apples, peeled and diced
1 Tsp. coconut oil
1 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
2 C almond milk
1 14 oz. can full fat coconut milk
- Combine nuts and prunes in a food processor until ground into a fine meal, about 1 minute; set aside.
- Sauté apples over medium heat in coconut oil until lightly browned, about 5 minutes
- Add nut and date mixture and cinnamon to apples and stir to incorporate, about 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to low and add coconut and almond milk
- Stirring occasionally, let mixture cook uncovered until thickened, about 25 minutes
Serve warm; 6-8 servings; store chilled in an airtight container for up to a week or two.